After a decade of activism, did we fail?

Welcome to the forum :tada:

People in general seem lost about how to change the system, not just TZM. Sure we can look at Greenpeace or Extinction Rebellion and think, look they are actually “doing something”. I agree that they are more organized, set goals and do them. They also have had their successes. However, none of them propose systemic change. Any change or progress made will be wiped out as soon as things get tough such as environmental laws or social programs.

I was recently at a systems change meetup in Amsterdam. Although we in TZM have our struggles to find a starting point and find meaning in the things we do, it can be worse. Action is great, but action without analyzing the structural reasoning behind it is futile in the long run. Some of these activist groups may seem successful, but in the larger scope, what effect will it actually have if we keep a system of infinite growth regardless of the social and ecological consequences?

I’ve talked to many different movements, organizations and political parties. All have something to contribute for sure. But none really talk about real change. I still think TZM has the most to offer, us or TVP.

Where to start? Well, what gets you out of bed every day? What do you enjoy doing without feeling forced? What are your skills? How much time can you spend on TZM? We’re still sort of in the first phase of the movement, which is organization; creating a strong grassroots backbone. So depending on your skills, the things we need most are chapters, worldwide. I’ll release next week or so a new chapters map which will hopefully assist in this endeavor. Depending on where you are, start building a presence, locally and online. Connect with your local environment. Create an inventory of issues, possible solutions and who’s already working on that. Network with these people and put those problems and solutions in context of the train of thought. That’s a beginning. From there, restart the exercise and increment the progress, based on new people and experience. If you can’t find new people, connect with other international chapters and work on ideas on how to make a bigger impact to network.

2 Likes