Copiosis moneyless economy

Copiosis.com is a transitional economic model allowing for funding of beneficial activities and products that nobody wants to allocate money to in the current system. It allows this by separating money into “cost” and reward which is determined by a formula. Then you can for example provide food for free and still be rewarded and it could be safely created out of “thin air” without the drawbacks we have today.

I have created my own prototype implementation (Rust language) that I’ve been using for three years with few other households. It is not an online app at the moment. Download here.

There is another online implementation which has different transaction verification approach but that’s further from the original concept.

3 Likes

Looks cool! You’re obviously a great addition to the @it-team as well, you can add yourself in the group overview if you want. With that we can tag groups of people with a certain interest and skill. Which helps to facilitate e.g. projects.

2 Likes

A moneyless society, that uses money? I can definitely appreciate the attempt and transitional element of this, and support it’s development…but as of now, it doesn’t seem any better than the current system of Capitalism, to be frank.

Regarding the algorithms Copiosis describes for determining “value”, I do not find them universal, or to be modeling reality in anyway, just seems like arbitrary, personally assigned values, which is the same thing Capitalism does. Equations/algorithms are designed to express relationships between variables which I don’t see Copios’s algorithm conveying at all.

It doesn’t use money. It’s more like a voucher because it’s destroyed after use. But you also cannot transfer it and you cannot determine how much you would receive as a reward for your product as that is calculated by the formula. You can only set how many vouchers will the buyer need to spend for your product, not your own reward.

The values in the formula can be assigned in many ways. If we have sensor infrastructure then that could be completely automated. Now however the community has to determine that for each product. I for example do it by asking producers some questions about the product and then assign the values as best I can. A council could do it instead of just me.

Of course it is not perfect, but it works today. I expect that many capitalists would accept it as well as “egalitarians”. It’s designed for both. Perry is a nice guy willing to answer any questions if you’re curious. I’m not the best at explaining. I even managed to convince him to change the formula.

1 Like

I like the general idea of using algorithm to evaluate if the task at hand is overall beneficial or harmful for society, and hence worth an attempt. What I dislike in this project is it assumes consumer nature of the system which we are trying to get rid of as it literally tears the biosphere apart. If we apply said algorithm - provided it works as it claims - to assess tasks and recommend them to people, all the time discouraging consumption and promoting conservation of resources, maybe giving people some sort of social credit for accomplishing them instead of a currency I’d love to see it implemented. I’d jump right on board! Otherwise it’s just capitalism with extra steps to me…

It’s not perfect but still a lot better than the current system. Also there are mechanisms to prevent resource depletion (see overfishing example on page 7) and I presume advertisement would not be a very well awarded job. We need to slowly show people how to think differently and this is both for the generous and the selfish.

1 Like

Having skimmed through “insight bulletin” it makes more sense. Like in quasi-RBE system presented in book Return from the Stars. I’ll read more into it and maybe try to test andf break your algorithm for potential abuse by bad actors.

1 Like

Real delighed to see the press releases on this project! https://search.brave.com/search?q=COPIOSIS&source=desktop

https://theurbannews.com/business/2020/eliminating-money-and-capitalism/

loopback is present in this model!
https://redirect.invidious.io/watch?v=F8uzp4Za04k

calculation happens over and over again at many different levels of societies simultaneously so we can reward every person who helps make the cure NPR is given only after these questions are answered so there can be a delay before one’s reward comes that’s why necessities are provided to everyone at no cost

Revolution Now!,
sabtu

1 Like

Hi @michal.mauser, do you have any updates on this project? By definition a project has an end goal and end date. If this project is too large to give such a definition, it then would be best to break it down in smaller sub projects and organize them in a roadmap perhaps? Then people also know how to help out and see the progress. Thanks for considering! :slight_smile: