Most open-source licenses allow certain things that can be abused, such as dual licensing, and do not work for a Resource-Based Economy. However, my 10 clause license can solve these issues.
The updated license and Readme is here.
The license is as follows:
The RBE Software License
This license is designed to align with the principles and standards set forth by The Venus Project (TVP) and promote the development of software that supports a Resource-Based Economy (RBE). You can freely use, modify, and distribute software licensed under these terms and conditions outlined herein.
- When using or distributing software under this license, you must provide appropriate attribution to acknowledge the base software used. At a minimum, this should include a link to the original source.
- Attribution helps maintain transparency and facilitates the sharing of knowledge within the community.
- Selling or engaging in any form of monetary exchange, barter, or servitude related to the software is strictly prohibited.
- This restriction aligns with the principles of an RBE, where the focus is on resource allocation and access rather than monetary gain.
- All software distributed under this license must be open code, allowing for modification and improvement by individuals for the benefit of the community.
- Proprietary copies of the software are not permitted, as they can hinder collaborative design and development.
- Any derivative works or modifications of the software must also be licensed under this agreement.
- This provision ensures that the principles of the RBE and TVP are upheld throughout the software ecosystem.
- All software developed or distributed under this license should be useful for every target user.
- Developement that benefits only the few at the expense of others is not allowed.
Free Community Support:
- Access to community support for the software should be provided to all individuals free of charge.
- This fosters inclusivity and ensures that everyone can benefit from the collective knowledge and expertise within the RBE community.
Prohibition of Other Licensing:
- Premiums, exclusives, and other discriminatory practices that create barriers to access or favor certain individuals or entities are strictly prohibited.
- The software should be available to all on equal terms, without any form of discrimination.
- The collection of user data beyond what is necessary for feedback and improvement purposes is not allowed.
- Minimizing telemetry ensures user privacy and prevents unnecessary data collection that may compromise the principles of the RBE.
No Partnerships with Profit-Maximizing Companies:
- Collaboration or partnerships with profit-maximizing companies that contradict the core values behind the development of the software are not permitted.
- This provision aims to maintain the integrity and independence of the software from entities that prioritize profit over the RBE principles.
- Material incentives, such as monetary rewards, should not be offered to individuals for their contributions to the software.
- The motivation to contribute should stem from a genuine desire to support the development of this community.